As part of my first year experience I get the chance to help a third year degree student with the curation of their final exhibition. This included rearranging the studios to accommodate all of the students, fixing and painting walls and cleaning the floors, as wells as helping them mount their work. Although we were all assigned a third year individually there were times where we needed to help in groups with big and/or complex jobs i.e. fixing the gum tape and moving walls. I find the exhibition prep one of the most exciting and yet stressful times of year because you can see how people have developed and expressed themselves in their own unique way. This is the time where you present your work and development for the public to see. I find this is also a great time for everyone to come together and work as a team to help each other partake in a fantastic exhibition.
The first part of the build was quite slow and tedious because it just involved moving tables and chairs into an enclosed storage space. The large sum of furniture to be moved made this a huge job which took a few days to complete and a plan to fit everything together.
Once every third year we’re able to access their space the fixing and painting could commence! From the start there were many jobs for us to do so there was very little time to stand around. I really enjoy that fact that every third year would need help so you would end up helping many and not just the one you were assigned. It is surprising how long the build takes because you spend a lot of time waiting around for things to dry before you can sand or paint so it can be quite tedious ( messy too)! We were able to get stuck in with the progress which has helped my curation skills.
This time has given me the chance to socialise with students in my year as well as third years and gain some insight into their journey through the Fine Art course at Cardiff and the skills they have learned and developed. With the tutors insight and guidance I have developed my knowledge to a higher level from foundation and be more observant with any imperfections. The next stage of this build is to continue perfecting the walls and start mounting the work.
The exhibition prep is starting to come to an end and the walls and really started to look great. The walls needed a few more coats of paint especially where the tape was because you could still see the brownness of it. My third year and I spent the morning perfecting the wall and sanding down any lumps and bumps.
The last job before mounting the cleaning of the floor. It was definitely the worse job of them all and yet one of the most important for the exhibition.
I wasn’t needed for the mounting of his work because that is more of an individual part. He can now decide how he wants the audience to see and experience the artwork but I am excited to see how it looks when I get the chance to experience it.