Over the past four months I have continued to develop my skills and ideas as an artist by collaborating with other courses, testing out new skills and improving my current collage and expressive painting skills. The projects were very intense and moved at a fast pace because we had a lot of work to compete in such a short period of time.
I found the field project quite challenging because everyone in my groups had very different ideas and ways of working so coming up with a collaboration sometimes proved difficult. I found it hard to work with a few of the other students because they weren’t enthusiastic or motivated to work as a group in a discipline they aren’t particularly interested in. The projects were only a week long which was great for a taster into each subject especially for first year however, it didn’t give much time to develop ideas and create a piece. Despite this, the project did make us think quickly and work together to produce the art. It also allowed me to grasp an understanding of other disciplines in the university. Although the field project did have its negatives I did really enjoy this time because I was able to produce some really cool experimental work. I mostly enjoyed the Fine art field project because it was more my style of work and we were able to produce more conceptual work using photography, video and performance. It may seem bias to say I mostly enjoyed the Fine art project but I felt it was more intense and we produce a range of different piece of work within the time period and not just one piece. I felt the ceramics project was a little too basic because we didn’t get time to fire and glaze the work so I felt it was very rushed and unfinished however, the photographs we got from the work were very interesting and abstract!
Although the field was not perfect and had a few flaws, I did enjoy its because it introduced me to a few new skills with clay in ceramics and maker. I find my work can be a little messy so working with students from Artist Designer Maker helped me to think about the presentation and layout of my own work, Working with my hands in ceramics meant I was able to mould a range of interesting shapes. The theme of the projects remain the same and was based around light however, they didn’t necessarily have too be linked. We were able to explore light in many different ways in each discipline – we explored light and abstract shadows in ceramics, changes of architecture using a pinhole camera in Artist Designer Maker and how light changes the mood and emotion of a person or atmosphere in Fine Art.
After the field workshops we started the second module of the year – The consolidation project. I felt this module started off a little slow because we were looking at a few collage techniques with just image before incorporating paint and other materials including packaging, newspaper, coloured paper and bubble wrap. I have completed a lot of collage in the past as part of GCSE and A Level so I thought the beginning of the project was a little tedious because it didn’t particularly challenge me. This part of the project also didn’t have much of a theme either meaning all of my work was random and experimental. In terms of experimenting with collage, it was a great way to start however, I knew pretty quickly that I needed a theme to focus on. After watching a programme on women’s rights (100 years of Votes for women, BBC) I decided to focus my work on this – which also feeds into my interest in political and social art.
I started to research the suffragette movement and began to experiment with imagery and paint. I mostly used reds when adding the paint because it represented the violence and trauma many women went through in order to get the vote for women in the UK. The images provided a range of key events throughout that time. Most of the photographs were black and white as they were from the early 20th century which showed the time they were from. Also, my printer stopped working properly so many of the images came out distorted giving them a vintage look which worked in my favour because it added to the atmosphere I was attempting to create. During my research I realised although these incredible women were successful in their acts, it was only for a small number of people of a certain class and status who were able to vote. It isn’t recognised much but, black women were not given the vote until the National Citizen Act of 1983. In current news, British citizens of Jamaican origin are being deported even though they have legal right to remain in the UK and have served the country in many ways throughout history.
I enjoyed this term more than I enjoyed the first term because I was able to experiment with a wider range of skills within and outside of my discipline which gave me an insight to what I am exposed to and what is on offer to me at the university. The consolidation project was longer than the material project we completed in the first term giving us more time to develop ideas and themes and to complete a better more thought through final piece. I am going to continue the theme of the suffragettes and women’s right and will research the topic more intensely as well as continuing the collage route and producing a due drawings for the final exhibition because I think it is very intense topic which I could research and explore for a long time but I want to express my feelings and responses to the ongoing movement in a image of different ways including collage, drawing, painting and sculpture. For the exhibition I am going to produce a large drawing which is overpowering and expressive as a response to the movement in the early 29th Century.